Childhood Obesity : All that you need to Know
A lot of people think that chubby babies refer to healthy babies. But a baby requires a certain amount of nutrition to grow and develop, and the more fat a child stores, the higher the tendency to store fat as a child increases at the child grows up. This is because fat cells multiply in number in childhood and with fat stores the number of fat cells increases. Obese children eventually become obese adults, especially if one or both parents are obese.
Childhood obesity is in modern times, considered as a severe medical condition. Childhood obesity is more concerning because the extra pounds often commence since childhood and leads to a convoluted path of concerning health problems that were once considered adult problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Childhood obesity can also lead to poor self-esteem and depression.
Childhood Obesity Effects:
- High blood pressure and high cholesterol that are risk factors resulting in cardiovascular disease (CVD)
- Increasing the risk of impaired glucose tolerance, insulin resistance, and type 2 diabetes.
- Prevalence of breathing problems such as asthma and sleep apnea.
- Increasing joint problems and musculoskeletal discomfort.
- Deficiencies like Iron, B12 etc
- Poor immunity
- Prevalence of psychological problems, such as anxiety and depression in the child.
- Low self-esteem and lower self-reported quality of life.
- The suffering of social problems, such as bullying and stigma.
- Late puberty.
Childhood Obesity Causes:
- Increased intake of energy-dense food, high in fat and sugars but low in vitamins, minerals and other micro nutrients.
- Excess caloric intake, due to the unrestricted access to energy-dense foods at various platforms like a school cafeteria and school neighbourhood combined with profound knowledge about dietary components in school children.
- The practice of overfeeding of low-birth-weight babies.
- Lack of physical activity or overindulgence in indoor leisure activities and entertainment.
- Increasing pressure on children to perform in academics and reduced emphasis on sports.
- Television viewing is perhaps the worst established environmental influence on the development of obesity during childhood.
3. SOCIO-CULTURAL FACTORS
- Daily allowance to purchase lunch, easy availability of domestic help to take care of household chores, commuting to school by bus or car instead of walking or bicycling.
- Over protection and forced feeding by parents, false traditional beliefs about health and nutrition, in-depth knowledge about food in parents and caregivers, also contribute to obesity.
- HORMONAL DISORDERS- Insulin resistance, hypothyroidism, Growth hormone deficiency, Polycystic ovary syndrome
- GENETIC CAUSES- Down syndrome, Turner syndrome
Childhood Obesity Prevention
- Encourage healthy eating habits
- Make favorite dishes healthier
- Limiting your child’s consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages
- Including plenty of fruits and vegetables in their diet
- Having meals with family as often as possible
- Limiting eating outs, especially fast-food, and when you do eat out, teach your child how to make healthier choices
- Adjusting portion sizes appropriately according to their age
- Limit TV and other “screen time” to less than 2 hours a day for children older than 2, and don’t allow television for children younger than 2
- Be sure your child gets enough sleep.
- Help your kids understand the benefits of being physically active- parents themselves should set a good example for their children where physical fitness is considered.
- Help kids stay active- 60 minutes of moderate physical activity daily.
- Nutrition education and healthy eating habits should be emphasized in schools and family.
The doctors and nutritionists of Define Aesthetics carefully assess every child to analyze the BMI, fat %, type of fat and cause of obesity. Our treatment plan is a multi-factorial approach consisting of treatment of associated conditions like Insulin Resistance or other hormonal disturbances, a healthy lifestyle and non-surgical technology Ion Magnum for achieving safe and healthy weight loss.
Ion Magnum mimics these signals so that the muscle tissue is made to believe that it is performing a muscle-toning workout. In return what you get is the benefits of an intense, professional workout minus the pain, physical exertion or inconvenience of conventional exercise. Ion Magnum not only reduces both surface & visceral fat but also builds muscles & improves muscle mass. This naturally increases metabolic rate which further initiates weight loss. It is an FDA approved, Non-surgical & completely safe technology.