Reduce Weight by Natural Ways
Obesity or overweight is a condition characterized by excessive deposition or storage of fat in adipose tissues. Over the years it has been a common problem all over the world.
Ayurveda describes eight types of bodies, which are considered bad. Out of the eight, the two that are widely explained are: very thin body and very fat body. It has been proved that out these two those who are very fat have most diseases and troubles. This is because the extra fat puts a strain on the heart, kidneys, liver and the joints such as the hips, knees and ankles. Over weight persons are susceptible to several diseases like high blood pressure, diabetes, arthritis, gout, liver and gall bladder disorders.
The chief cause of obesity or over-weight is often overeating, irregular eating habits and not following the rules of eating including improper mixing of food items in one meal.
HOME REMEDIES FOR LOSING WEIGHT
- Fruits and green vegetables are low calorie foods should use these more frequently.
- One should avoid intake of too much salt. Salt may be a factor for increasing the body weight.
- Products like cheese, butter should be avoided because these are rich in fat. Meat and non-vegetarian foods should also be avoided.
- Spices like dry ginger, cinnamon, black pepper etc. are good can be used in a number of ways.
Rice and potato should be avoided among cereals wheat is good.
- Vegetables like bitter gourd (Karela), and bitter variety of drumstick are useful for losing weight.
- Taking of honey is an excellent home remedy for obesity. It mobilizes the extra deposited fat in the body and puts it into circulation, which is utilized as energy for normal functions.
- Fasting on honey and lime juice is highly beneficial in the treatment of obesity without the loss of energy and appetite. It can be taken several times in a day at regular intervals.
- Cabbage is considered to be an effective remedy for losing weight. This vegetable inhibits the conversion of sugar and other carbohydrates into fat. Hence, it is of great value in weight reduction. It can be taken raw or cooked.
- Exercise is an important part of weight reduction plan. It helps to use up calories stored in body as fat. In addition, it also relieves tension and tones up the muscles of the body. Walking is the best exercise to begin with and may be followed by running, swimming, rowing.
- Measure the portions of your food every meal and make sure that the portions are small..
Smaller meals at a regular interval of 4 to 5 hours will keep your metabolism high and prevent your body from converting the food you intake into fat. You must also include regular exercise in your daily routine to help enhance weight reduction.
- Mint is very beneficial in losing weight. A chutney of green mint with some simple spices can be taken with meals. Mint tea also helps.
- Regular intake of carrot juice.
- The gum of CommiphoraMukul called ‘guggulu’ is the drug of choice for the treatment of obesity.
Preparation of Home Remedies
According to Ayurveda, home remedies are prepared in the same way and with the same purpose as other Ayurvedic medicines. The main aim is to obtain the maximum therapeutic benefit while making it palatable.
A sample of Healthy Diet recommended
- Juice of half a lemon mixed in a glass of warm water and a teaspoon of honey.
- Moong or mixed bean sprouts and a cup of skimmed milk.
- Oats with milk
- A glass of buttermilk- Roasted cumin seeds, green coriander leaves, a little salt and some grated ginger mixed in the buttermilk.
- Salad of raw vegetables such as carrot, beet, cucumber, cabbage, tomatoes. Steamed or boiled vegetables
- Whole grain bread or whole wheat chapatis (Indian bread)
- A glass of buttermilk or Curd or Paneer
- Coconut water / Dry fruits / Lemon tea / Fresh vegetable soup
- Whole grain bread or phulka
- Roasted paneer or Buttermilk or Curd
- Vegetables or Dal
- Salad or Soup
Dr. Tejal Ranka
Obesity & Cosmetology Specialist