Childhood obesity is most serious public health challenge affecting globally especially in urban settings.
Overweight is defined as excess body weight for a particular height from fat, muscle, water or combination of all three.
Fundamental cause of childhood obesity is imbalance between calories consumed and calories expended.
1. DIET–increased intake of energy-dense food, high in fat and sugars but low in vitamins, minerals and other micro nutrients.
2. LIFESTYLE– decreased physical activity levels due to increasingly sedentary lifestyle and increased urbanization, lack of outdoor activities.
3. HORMONAL DISORDERS- Insulin resistance, hypothyroidism, Growth hormone deficiency, Polycystic ovary syndrome
4. GENETIC CAUSES- Down syndrome, Turner syndrome
EFFECT OF CHILDHOOD OBESITY-
According to WHO overweight and obese children are most likely to develop non communicable diseased like diabetes,cardiovascular diseases at a younger age and are also likely to stay obese in adulthood.
3. Behavioural therapy–
Do not set overweight children apart. Involve whole family to change family’s physical and eating habits. Counsel and educate children about healthy lifestyle changes at academic levels
4. Treatment of associated conditions like Insulin Resistance or other hormonal disturbances.
5. Modern technologies like Ion Magnum–
When we exercise our brain sends signals to the corresponding muscles. Ion Magnum mimics these signals so that the muscle tissue is made to believe that it is performing a muscle-toning workout. In return what you get is the benefits of an intense, professional workout minus the pain, physical exertion or inconvenience of conventional exercise. Ion Magnum not only reduces both surface & visceral fat but also builds muscles & improves muscle mass. This naturally increases metabolic rate which further initiates weight loss. It is a FDA approved, Non-surgical & completely safe technology.
Dr. Gauri Kanade,
Define Aesthetics, Pune